Sister blog of Physicists of the Caribbean. Shorter, more focused posts specialising in astronomy and data visualisation.
Friday, 6 October 2017
M31 seen at multiple wavelengths
I'm preparing short 6-hour lecture course on galaxy evolution. I thought it would be more interesting to show the popular multi-wavelength M31 data image as an animation, so here's a little gif. The positional matching of the data sets is just done by eye so it isn't very precise, but it's good enough.
I'll be making the course available online if and when time permits.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
ChatGPT Is A Competent Source Extractor
This builds on my post from two years ago, ChatGPT Is Not A Source Extractor . My, how things change. Last time I wrote : They're still ...
-
Of course you can prove a negative. In one sense this can be the easiest thing in the world : your theory predicts something which doesn...
-
One of the nice things about doing all my academic reading on a digital tablet is that I can download papers I'd like to read purely fo...
-
Very long-term readers may remember my anguished efforts (almost a decade ago) to build a stable disc galaxy. Sweet summer child that I was...

M33 doesn't show in IR?? (I guess the image truncated...)
ReplyDeleteYou mean M110, the bright companion at the top of the image ? Yes, that's just image truncation.
ReplyDeleteRhys Taylor Whoops, silly me! Yes, M110. (It looked kind of spiral in the small animation, but of course M33 is much farther away on the sky.)
ReplyDelete