Sister blog of Physicists of the Caribbean. Shorter, more focused posts specialising in astronomy and data visualisation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
ChatGPT Is A Competent Source Extractor
This builds on my post from two years ago, ChatGPT Is Not A Source Extractor . My, how things change. Last time I wrote : They're still ...
-
Of course you can prove a negative. In one sense this can be the easiest thing in the world : your theory predicts something which doesn...
-
One of the nice things about doing all my academic reading on a digital tablet is that I can download papers I'd like to read purely fo...
-
Very long-term readers may remember my anguished efforts (almost a decade ago) to build a stable disc galaxy. Sweet summer child that I was...

Sure, though I did explain in several recent posts. This is what the sky would look like if we could see the neutral hydrogen gas of the Milky Way as well as the stars. Hydrogen emits at very specific frequencies depending on how fast it's moving towards or away from us. In the above gif, the emission in different frequencies is used to generate the red, green and blue colours, which helps to enhance the visibility of the different structures. I explain more here :
ReplyDeletehttp://astrorhysy.blogspot.cz/2013/11/damn-thats-nice-piece-of-gas.html
It's a "test" in the sense that I'm trying to work out the best way to show this.
21 cm band, if I remember my Larry Niven correctly.
ReplyDeleteYep, and in Carl Sagan's Contact they even use real astronomer-speak and call it L-band.
ReplyDelete